Introducing Bruce Molsky’s brand new trio with Allison de Groot and Stash Wyslouch
Molsky’s Mountain Drifters – Tradition steeped in possibility.
Bruce Molsky, “one of America’s premier fiddling talents” (Mother Jones) and Grammy-nominated artist on fiddle, banjo, guitar and song is delighted to present his new group already on tour in the US. Bruce’s previous collaborations, with Anonymous 4, 1865 – Songs of Hope and Home from the American Civil War, was released to rave reviews and was on the top 10 Billboard charts for weeks. He is also a special guest on legendary guitarist Mark Knopfler’s latest CD, Tracker and is working on his 3rd album with Andy Irvine & Donal Lunny’s supergroup Mozaik. You can also hear Bruce on BBC TV Transatlantic Sessions singing with Joan Osborne, Julie Fowlis and fiddling with Scottish legend Aly Bain and America’s great dobroist Jerry Douglas. Bruce is also Berklee College of Music’s Visiting Scholar in the American Roots Program.
Allison de Groot combines wide ranging virtuosity and passion for old-time music. With her own bands The Goodbye Girls and Oh My Darling, she has played Trafalgar Square in London, Newport Folk Festival, Stockholm Folk Festival, the Winnipeg Folk Festival, and Tønder Festival in Denmark. Like Bruce, Allison loves collaborating and bringing new ideas to old music, and brings a fresh approach to the trio.
Boston-based Stash Wyslouch is one of bluegrass’s great young genre-bending pioneers. He got his start as a guitarist in metal bands before immersing himself in roots music as a member of The Deadly Gentlemen. Stash is a veteran festival performer, having played at Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival, Rockygrass, Merlefest, Savannah Music Festival and others. Coming over from the punk-metal world, Stash brings great sensitivity and real emotion to the trio, plus some superb guitar and vocal chops.
Bruce Molsky http://brucemolsky.com
- "Bruce Molsky is one of those great players who 'gets it': has all the links to the past but is happy not to be chained to it" - Mark Knopfler
- "Molsky is easily one of the nation's most talented fiddlers...he transports you ... geographically, historically, and most of all emotionally" - Mother Jones
- "It is no exaggeration to say that Bruce Molsky is one of the greatest American fiddlers of all time. His playing is mesmerizing and transporting, and best experienced live" - WBUR (Boston NPR)
- "An absolute master" - No Depression
- "An incredible power of history and tradition in his vocal" - Linda Ronstadt
- "One of the world's premier Appalachian-style fiddlers" - Bloomberg News
- "A mystical awareness of how to bring out the new in something that is old" - Mark O'Connor
Stash Wyslouch http://www.stashwyslouch.com/
- "With his acoustic guitar, Wyslouch blazes like Eddie Van Halen and then drops into an old-timey ballad." - Jed Gottlieb, Boston Herald
- "He [Stash] is an excellent guitarist guitarist and singer as well as a fine songwriter. . .When I open my mind and heart to something new and unexpected, I am almost always as rewarded as I was this night." - Suze Uttal, No Depression ,
Allison de Groot http://www.allisondegroot.com/
- Allison has it all. . .great clawhammer technique, exquisite tone, timing, taste. She has deep roots in the old time tradition and yet she's fearless when it comes to breaking new ground. It's a thrill whenever I get a chance to play with her.- Tony Trishka